At Sundial, we've just given a home to over 300,000 honeybees. With bee hives across our venues, we're proud to be producing the highest quality honey.
Cooking with honey has endless possitbilities and adds a delicate sweet touch to almost all foods from cakes and desserts to barbecue meats and salads.
Below is the first of our Sundial honey recipes, Lemon and Honey Sponge Cake:
- 190g butter or margarine
- 190g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 2 tbsp honey
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3-5 tbsp milk
1. Pre heat oven to 170C.
2. Mix the butter and sugar until smooth and white. Gradually mix in the egg.
3. Add the zest and honey.
4. Sift the dry ingredients and fold into the mix
5. Add milk until the consistency justs drop off the spoon.
6. Grease 6 single portion pudding basins (or one loaf tin) lightly with butter and dust with flour.
7. ¾ fill the moulds or tin with the mix. Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes (or 25-30 minutes if you are using one tin), until the top of the sponge springs back into place when pressed and a skewer comes out clean. When cooked turn out onto a cooling wire.
A serving suggestion is to take some fresh raspberries and marinade with honey and stock syrup. Pour over the warm sponge with some clotted cream or vanilla custard.
This sponge can also be tray baked. Put a lemon and honey drizzle topping on it - great for afternoon teas.