This honey and spice cake is full of flavour, great for afternoon tea.
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Grated zest 1 orange & 1 lemon
- 75g caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 75g clear honey, warmed
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g chopped candied peel
Topping (Combine to make glaze)
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C and line a loaf tin.
2. Sift the spices and flour into a bowl, then add the orange and lemon zest, and sugar.
3. Rub in the butter until it forms like breadcrumbs.
4. Mix in the beaten egg, and warmed honey.
5. In another bowl, mix the bicarbonate of soda with 3 tbsp cold water and add to the mix. Beat until smooth and then fold in the peel.
8. Cook in a lined tin for ¾ - 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean.
9. Cool for 10 minutes then glaze with topping.